Monday, December 12, 2005

Redundant

Well, I’ve been meaning to do this post for a while but sort of kept delaying it for several reasons, though the main reason was uncertainty over events. Now as things have seemingly unfolded more I feel I can better comment on the present situation and at what the future holds.

The main thing is without waffling on is that I get made redundant on January 6th 2006 but wait - I don’t want sympathy because it’s come as a relief if I’m being honest. The office where I work is re-locating to Leeds because the business we are in is basically in decline. They could have closed our Leeds office and moved things here but we got the short straw, odd as they get paid more in our Leeds office so they would have saved money. It’s fair to say there may have been movement in the shadows that nobody knows about, some aspects of the whole thing smack of the underhanded, that’s business – often unfair, nothing as they say lasts forever. It came as a shock a while back when it was announced and there are some good people here but I’m sure we’ll all move on and prosper. The only tinge of irony for me is that it caps off what has been a shitty year but then again I was beginning to tire of working in a perpetual night time world and sleeping during the day. The job has basically made me unfit, often unsociable and was slowly starting to rot my brain with the repetition of it all and of course dealing with numpty clients on a daily basis. Reflecting back, the job hasn’t been bad, it’s financed a lot of things for me, several holidays to China and Thailand, video games, beer and also left me with a few quid in the bank. I’ll miss working with the guys I’ve worked with, they been top blokes and in truth they are what I will miss most.

The thing is, I’m not down about it, sure I will be out of a job in the New Year but they are giving me a decent redundancy and bonus for staying with the company until the end, plus I have my savings.

So what lies ahead is a bit of an adventure really, having some money in the back pocket and free time will enable me to have a holiday in the Far East again, catch up with some friends around the country and hopefully move over to Newark where my dad lives and where I also want to live. The plan is to put a bond down on a place and pay some rent in advance and then get a job, though I am applying for jobs over that way now. Of course I can’t guarantee any of this will happen but if I sit on my arse and do nothing then it won’t. My thoughts are I’d go anywhere right now, I feel ready for some life changing events, if I had a chance to work in London, I’d go but for now I have my sights on Newark.

So I guess to finish up with all I can say is I’ll be glad to see the back of this year and I look forward to 2006 and the new adventures that await this hobbit !

6 comments:

pat said...

london? london? london?
oh the irony.....

The Blind-Winger Jones said...

Sorry to hear that... Hopefully the New Year will turn up something new and it could be new beginnings for you.

Pat, did you notice where the office was being relocated to ? Leeds - even further north - oh the irony...

ems said...

I relocated to Warrington with a comic company but managed to take voluntary redundancy (I negotiated us all a good deal - they offered a month's trial up there- I got them to agree to six). DId my teacher training and moved back to London. Best thing I could have done.

If everything had stayed in London to start with I would never have done it. I'd still be there now. I enjoyed the people but the work was monotonous.

See it as an opportunity, Jay.

Hobbit's Journal said...

yes Pat! the irony, there's a contract we deal with based in London who I get on with, I thought of approaching them for a job.

Thanks for the kind words Martyn and Em's. I see it all as a challenge and I'm ready for a change - I believe things happen for a reason.

gawblimeyguv - I'm not in a well paid job, though it's not bad for my area, I'm not some relocating property tycoon I live in rented accomodation like you mate! I've just saved me pennies and fancy a bit of an adventure before I settle down to the mundane task of work again.

ems said...

GWB - I live in a council flat. Not in the buying my own place league yet.

liits said...

Made redundant and the company re-locating to Leeds???? Christ, things must be bad, I got made redundant from a place in Leeds [my birth place] and thought [then] that the world had ended. It must now be a black hole.... as opposed to just a hole!