Monday, April 04, 2011

Sucker Punch


After seeing the rather unremarkable 'The Eagle' I was looking forward to seeing Sucker Punch last Friday. I'd read a fair bit on it and most of the movie review sites weren't impressed but as I like Zack Snyder stuff I had a feeling I would like it regardless.

I wasn't disappointed, sure the movie felt very Snyder but hot babes in sexy combat outfits fighting with robots, dragons or steam punk nazi's is a win/win in my book. Visually it looked stunning and I can imagine it will look gorgeous on blu-ray on release. Story wise, well much of it I thought was ambiguous and open to interpretation. There's no doubt it can be perceived from different perspectives but I liked that aspect. I shan't spoil or try and dissect the movie here, I just sat back and enjoyed amazing visuals, cute chicks and a truly awesome soundtrack. When the Beatles cover of 'Tomorrow Never Knows' cut in by Carla Azar I was blown away as they descended onto the runaway train guarded by robots.

I'll confess the ending wasn't what I had hoped for but there was a message there to be picked up by diligent watching of the movie. Zack Snyder has given me my fave movie of the year so far and I hope he isn't discouraged by the bad press it received because frankly I loved every minute.

And here is the trailer;

No comments: