Monday, October 11, 2010

National Apathy

To be fair I can be a cynical person at times but as the months and years roll of the calendar my cynicism and diminished faith in human beings rapacious behaviour continues to grow.

You'd think in the age of email and computers things would get done easier, sadly it's not the case as the UK seemingly has dropped into a serious case of apathy. Nobody seems interested in getting things done anymore. Take for instance my car insurance, without wanting to spare you the reader all the boring details I've have an issue still not yet sorted dating back to May of this year. This is now impacting on my new car insurance who want to see proof of my no claims bonus and are gearing up to charge me extra money if said proof doesn't appear. The irony is that every time you switch the Tv on the adverts are dominated by car insurance ones. They are so eager to take your money yet so reluctant to do anything once they have it.

It just seems to be everything these days seems to be so long winded, it makes some of the clerical jobs I did back in the 80s and 90s seem super fast. I hate the fact that when you ring somewhere it always seems to be a call centre in some far off land and the language barrier begins almost immediately. No disrespect to these guys (apart from the cold calling ones) as I know they are trying to earn a living. Even closer to home there seems to be a genuine lack of interest or any empathy when you call someone, it's like as a nation we collectively seemed to have thrown the towel in and are all dreaming about what we are going to be doing at the weekend. The truth is there are some good people out there but it appears they are a dwindling sort.

Another thing that annoys me is I rent privately, it's a nice place and I am relatively happy here though I would in truth like somewhere less communal and more private. The problem is that I rent through a letting agent and have to speak to them if I want something done. The letting agents response is to stick their heads in the sand and hope it goes away. Again they are all smiles when taking the rent off me every month.

At first I thought it was just me being 'me' about stuff but problems getting things done these days just seems so prevalent or motivated by money. A friend went to buy a new mobile phone at the weekend and was told he had to buy a new sim card for £10 as part of the deal, even though he didn't need one. It just seems to me a case of the big phone companies bagging an extra £10 simply because they can.

Another recent instance that springs to mind is when I purchased my fridge a few months back. I bought it from Curry's online but first I went into the shop in town. The shop wanted to charge me something like £25 delivery even though there's a regional distribution centre for Curry's a few hundred yards away near the A1 motorway. If I ordered it online it was free delivery and yet would almost definitely come from the same distribution centre locally! Madness indeed. All I wanted to do was pay the cash in the shop, get it delivered, I don't mind ordering online but ideally like to spend money locally when purchasing expensive stuff and have that real person touch instead of the faceless online one.

Anyway, a bit of a moan there about things and ironically when typing the blog I get a phone call about some possible good news!

No comments: