Saturday, November 15, 2008

Snippets

Just a few thoughts on recent things going on...

Obama

I hope he does well, he could do a lot of good, especially if his foreign policies address current problems and mend fences. One thing that does worry me is that he has a lot of expectation to live up to, can he deliver? Let's hope so. It's good to see the geriatric old guard of American Presidents come to an end, out with the old, in with the younger and more dynamic.

Manuelgate

The British media had a real frenzy with Manuelgate. In a nutshell it all started with a seemingly low key prank call made to veteran comedian Andrew Sachs by Russell Brand and Johnathan Ross. The call did contain some distasteful lewd elements but in reality in wasn't any worse than some of the prank calls done in the past. The press however picked up on it and the whole thing became sensationalised, Brand in his radio station apology had subtle swipes at the paper that exposed the story thus inflamed the wrath of the press even more. Brand resigned, Ross was suspended, the celebrity community was divided.

So who were the winners and losers? In actual fact there were hardly any losers. Brand went over to the States and raised his profile further with appearances on chat shows etc, Ross got suspension but used to time to relax and rethink his career and count his money, the general consensus being 'he should have known better' but he received less vitriolic comments than Brand. Andrew Sachs was once again in the celebrity public eye and his almost extinct comedy career received a temporary boost, I think he did the Prince Charles comedy birthday tribute. Georgina Ballie, Sach's grandaughter and subject of the prank calls went to Max Clifford (publicist) and duly got her 5 minutes of fame.

As for the losers, well the BBC took a lot of flack and serious questions were raised over the amount they pay figurehead celebs such as Ross, and I guess as a license payer we shouldn't be paying our fee for celebs and big wigs at the BBC to get paid so bloody much. I think the BBC does some great Tv, but it could do even more quality programs if it paid celebrities and directors less.

My own personal angle on it? Well Brand could have done himself a favour by not taking on the press, though the reality is, it keeps him in the public eye. I don't think he's funny, dressing like a dandy, elongating words and gesticulating wildly just doesn't work for me, my guess is that he's a flash in the pan. Ross however, I quite like. I saw him once, on a trip to London, I was with my friend Pat and we were just about to go into a comic shop, as I recall Ross towered over us, such a tall man (well everyone is tall to me!) and said hello to us. I like Ross, not really sure why, I just do, and I like his Mrs even more!

The Economy

Well the papers say 1,500 a day are joining the ranks of the unemployed, that money is scarce and the outlook for the near future is bleak. Yet looking at certain goings on last night for children in need day it's amazing how much money is out there, especially when people were donating vast amounts for songs to be played on the radio.

No comments: