Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hair

Hair is a funny thing, we groom it, comb it, toy with it, wash it and style it. We don't realise it but it's quite a big thing in our lives as we tend to use hair to make statements about ourselves or project our personalities, we usually spend a fair bit on hair vanity and upkeep, especially women, and rightly so as it looks good. Our hair makes us stand out or look individual, it can reflect who we are in many different ways.

For many years now I've had long hair, truth be known I love long hair and there's been protracted periods in my life where my hair has been a fair old length. Up until recently its always looked good despite the fact I have fine hair but lately the hair brush and the mirror have indicated my hair was getting thinner in a couple of areas, not vastly so but noticeable on scrutiny. The fact I have fine hair highlighted it more. Instead of letting my hair hang down and free I seemed to have in more in a pony tail over the last few months or would use voluminous type sprays or gels to sweep it in directions etc.

I very much wanted to keep my hair as I did like it long but age catches up with men's hair in many cases and although I wasn't rapidly balding by any means I still didn't want to look silly or be over proud in the face of nature taking its course. Baldness doesn't run in the family and the crown of my head is fine, the front though was receding quite a bit and it just didn't suit my long hair - it was time to take reluctant action and face certain facts (and listen to what some folk have been telling me).

I pondered things for a few days, procrastinated and my heart and head swung like pendulums on what course of action to take. The reality is I knew I had to let it go, as long hair weighs heavy on the scalp and shows things up even more, shorter hair wouldn't be so bad. I've never been one for mid style haircuts though, not since my twenties so the only real solution was a really short style that was graded.

This morning as I looked in the mirror I knew it was time to say goodbye to my hair. I knew of a barbers in Nottingham that is open around 8:30am, as I regularly see the guy washing down the steps of the place at that time. I had a hunch he'd be empty as I walked past and he was. So I went in and asked for frank advice. At first he didn't realise I had long hair until I whisked the pony tail before him and then I sat in the chair and it was down to business. He commented it was a real shame as my hair was thick for fine type hair and was only let down by the front a little but agreed with me on my thoughts. He fired the clippers up and dug into my mass of brown hair, as it cascaded to the floor I felt sad to see it go but happy of a new beginning in some respects. He graded it to a 3 and then down to 2 on my orders before rinsing it and checking for odd stray longer hairs and performing some cosmetic titivation. Then it was done. I looked down and saw my hair there and thought it looked tired and a little bedraggled - I'd done the right thing I mused.

Walking out I donned my black beany hat as my scalp felt cold being bereft of hair, I sighed yet felt relieved and to be honest now its shorter it just looks like short hair and nothing like balding hair at all, so it's all good.

No comments: