Friday, January 20, 2012

Bills

Like most people I pay bills, and I mostly think the ones I get are reasonable or I have some hand in them such as choosing the service provider or deal etc. On the heating and electric front my bills are relatively low in the summer time but come winter, even though I am often reluctant to put the heating on they are quite shocking. I tend to stick to something like 2 hours of heating a day really, I live alone and so I can layer up clothing wise. These days though because I have an arthritic problem and can be in pain I sometimes have it on more, though its done manually and once my place is warm off it goes.

Having just had by heating and electric bill for the last quarter I have to say I find what they charge pretty criminal. I can pay it, that's not the problem but my feelings go out to the elderly and unemployed or low income with young families, they must really struggle. Of course here in Britain the corporate hierarchy of these firms are clueless because why should they worry when they get a fat bonus and are on their luxury yacht in Barbados basking in warmth?

Ten years ago my heating bills for gas seemed considerably lower, nowadays they've easily trebled and will probably carry on rising. As a nation we need to be investing in affordable heating like many other countries are. The big companies need to stop with all the advertising bullshit and comparison web sites they influence and just give a solid value for money service. Where will it all end? I dread to think.

No comments: