Friday, September 03, 2010

Hawking

Stephen Hawking is a genius of our times, a man of considered rational thoughts and despite his frailties has heroic qualities, I'm sure the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche would have considered him an 'Übermensch' who embodied the better qualities of mankind, much like Wagner who Nietzsche idolised (but never saw eye to eye with).

Hawking is indeed one of the great scientific thinkers of today and although I personally can't understand some of the stuff he writes (I was never good at maths, physics and chemistry) I try and take on board as much of it as I can.

The last few days have seen most newspapers in a science Vs religion debate, letters pages have been filled with arguments, counter arguments and at times vitriol (most of the vitriol being from the religious kind).

Hawking has stated that 'Science leaves no room for god in the creation of the universe' and of course this has rattled the religious establishment severely. The Times front page today shows rabbi's, imams' and archbishops et al venting their displeasure at such a statement and also projecting their warped reasoning's. Of course these are the people who are happy to believe people can live till several hundred years old and that Adam named all species of the earth in genesis (I'm guessing that could of taken some time!).

Personally I am glad the gloves are off against organised religion at the moment, that people are questioning things with rational thought and scientific processes. It's about time mankind took more steps to shake off the old fetters of religion and myths laid down by ignorant men long ago (I'm starting to sound like Bertrand Russell here) and stride into the future with open logical and sensible minds.

I'm not against people having faith, as I can see what a comfort blanket it can be and some faith's such as Buddhism do have wise words but I am wholeheartedly against organised religion that seeks to control minds and lives with the fear of fairy tales. Reading the Times today it seems that religious powers that be are united in protecting their chosen faith's when the irony is they cannot agree on a singular faith at all.

If mankind had invested more energies and time in knowledge, learning and sciences instead of biblical scaremongering and pointless wars then my guess is we'd be travelling the stars right now and cancer would have been a long forgotten thing of the past.

I've long been planning a blog (possibly a long one) on my experiences and thoughts on religion. I've made some notes and ideally I need to type it up first, and probably edit it several times but hopefully in will be posted at some point in the forthcoming weeks.

No comments: