Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Nottingham Interlude #2

Can lightening strike twice? Let's be pragmatic and say no, though it probably has happened but as regards me in the female stakes, well... I'm just not that lucky. So why a second interlude in the big city? stay tuned and I'll divulge.

Last Wednesday I was over in Nottingham at the new project I am involved with, the train journey was uneventful, I could have driven there but I didn't really want to mess about parking in the city or bump heads with traffic en masse. Anyhow, it was a cold morning, I felt tired and was propped up by a couple of pain killers whilst listening to some Infected Mushroom on the ipod. Arriving at the new project I was received warmly by the guys there and the day passed expeditiously, new experiences, new people, fast thinking and a lot of standing up. I didn't doubt I'd enjoy the day, though the niggling physical tiredness seemed to linger in the background like some revenant shadow.

At 3pm I was heading home, though I had half an hour to spare before the departing train, so it was a steady and fatigued saunter in the direction of the station.

REWIND...

Before Christmas I'd had problems with my right eye, no point going into boring details here but at the time I decided to get it checked out at the emergency eye clinic at Queens Medical Centre. As I see a consultant there, he always advised me not to hesitate if I did have eye problems to get them looked over. Casting my mind back it was a bleak October morning when I attended, in fact I'd been before the previous year to get something checked out. Behind the desk both times was a little cutie of a nurse, my height in fact, hair pulled back neatly into a ponytail and spectacles adorning her pretty face. It might be worth mentioning that in the past I've had girlfriends the same height, only a couple as I recall, though there have been plenty of equal sized encounters in China and Thailand *ahem* but we don't need to go there right now! The fact is I've had girlfriends of all shapes and sizes, the tallest being 5'11. I don't really have a size preference but I also can't help liking girls around my height, so the nurse behind the helpdesk of course caught my attention. She was very attentive, there was some minor flirting and when I went for a coffee in the nearby hospital cafe I couldn't help thinking 'what if?'

But in scenario's like this you can't go chatting nurses up on duty, well you can but you just know they are going to remain professional, and rightly so! Anyway, she seemed to move me up the queue, I was examined by the doctor and diagnosed with some minor eye inflammation. As I headed back into the city I couldn't help thinking wistfully about her, hoping I'd bump into her again one day under better circumstances.

FAST FORWARD...

So there I am trudging back to the station, I look up and suddenly there's the cutie nurse, hurtling at break neck speed towards me (us small folk can't half move at times!). There was really no time for me to react, I guess I could have asked her some inane question about the hospital or the eye casualty but I was really too tired to give chase or try and interrupt her. I turned and watched her vanish into the assemblage of shoppers, thinking to myself she'd be 'perfect'. Ok, she's no super model or delicious dame but I don't care for 'showmance' and what people many think, I care about the person inside. I guess two hobbit's walking hand in hand would get heads turning, people would mock and snigger, let them because I care not, I love unreservedly be it a curvy amazon or a cute pixie.

So, nothing happened. I came home feeling content with the day, and another Nottingham encounter. Before, dear reader you lean back in your chair and think 'How many women does he actually like in the city?' I can answer only the two I've blogged about, though I'm pretty sure millions of singletons and people in relationships have similar such encounters or thoughts everyday - we are only human after all.

1 comment:

DK said...

~chuckles~ ace!