Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Gone!

Saw my old place of work being demolished on the local news today. I felt really sad viewing it being toppled by bulldozers. Mansfield Brewery once employed around 4000 people, now its just an empty shell of a place, littered with drug user needles and scorched from vandals starting fires, a far cry from its former splendour. It's buildings used to dominate the Mansfield area. Soon it will be all but a memory as the rubble is cleared.

They showed some of the areas I used to work in, including the bottling plant, such good times I had working in there. I only hope the massive area that is left over is put to good use development wise for the benefit of the town, which needs all the help it can get.
There is a BBC news article here

1 comment:

liits said...

Nostalgia indeed! Crossgates, where I originate from, is in heart of Tetley country. The two exceptions being the Cock Beck, a John Smith’s pub and the Seacroft which was Davenports [from Birmingham, I think]. The Seacroft closed down before I was old enough to drink and stood empty for quite a few years.
After much building work it reopened as the Lion & Lamb, this name being taken from a pub which had stood on the site many, many years previously. Unheard of for east Leeds, the Lion & Lamb was reopened as a Mansfield’s pub.
I went on the opening night with my Dad, a dyed in the wool Tetley’s man. The beer was vile! To add insult to injury, it was “electric beer” too! Ie, it was metered pumps as opposed to hand pulled, Tetley’s having reverted back to hand pulled, cask conditioned beer a few years previously.
The Lion & Lamb [known to all as the Mange and Mutton] lasted until quite recent years, I don’t know exactly when it did close but the last time I was up in Leeds, the place was flattened, like the beer they sold!