Friday, November 11, 2011

Skyrim

So 11.11.11 saw this little hobbit make a dash with reckless abandon to Nottingham this morning to buy the legendary new game from Bethesda that is Elder Scrolls - Skyrim. I've loved their past games starting with Daggerfall in the early 90s, then onto Morrowind, then prior to today's release I enjoyed Oblivion.

The reason I went to Nottingham to bag it was that my local Gamestation store couldn't confirm if they were stocking it on the Pc format. On a very crowded train I sped towards Nottingham early this morning, I pondered if there'd be release problems, as when I bought Oblivion on the Xbox 360 some years back there were some initial teething problems with it.

I was fortunate today, Game in Nottingham were open at 8:45am when I arrived there and after a swift purchase and some fending the assistants efforts off at trying to make me buy a strategy guide for it I headed home. He was persistent for sure, but I explained should I need help and advice there's the whole of the internet to look on for free, his retort was the guide 'looked good'.

Grabbing a quick coffee at the train station I was catching the train back earlier than expected with a smile but also fearing the game I've lusted after so long for would have some kind of problem.

It didn't. Loading took about 6 minutes under the 'Steam' platform and about a minute for a small update then after the program detected my settings and set them automatically to a favourable 'high' the game began and my jaw hit the deck.

For a short while I thought the intro sequence was just for show, characters sat trussed up on a cart, obviously criminals of some sort being led to an execution but then I moved the mouse pointer and realised I could look around, it wasn't an intro, I was actually part of it!

After a cracking opening and a character designing sequence I was on the run from a marauding dragon and escaping through dungeons before emerging onto a mountain path surrounded by trees, it looked so real I almost felt I could reach out and touch them. Within no time my character guided by the one she had escaped with was introduced to the first small town of Riverwood and then the adventures really begin.

All I can say is thank you Bethesda for delivering such an awesome game, I am genuinely lost for words how amazing it is and the fantastic attention to detail. In some ways Bethesda has kept neat little touches from past games yet vastly improved other areas and the graphics and gritty realism is to die for! On first impressions I am literally blown away and believe me, I've seen some games over the years.

Below is the first screen shot I took on escaping the first opening scenes and salvaging some equipment.

And here is the game trailer.

No comments: