Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jimmy The Legend

Jimmy Sirrel, the age old Notts County ex Manager and legend that took them to glory has passed on today aged 86. I met Jimmy in a supermarket once, I was only a youngster and I think there was a stall selling merchandise and raising the profile of the club, it's all a bit vague and I can't recall much or who I was with.
I've been a Notts County fan since a child, I say fan as I'm not an avid supporter, sure I've been to a good few games but never been a regular, so can't really label myself a supporter. It was as a youngster, probably aged 7 or 8 that I had a bet with a lad across the street who supported a local team County were once playing, County won and I remember him chasing me in frustration, it was at that point my passion for the club began.
Jimmy took the club to great heights in Football and worked long hours, he was a dedicated no nonsense Glasgow man who cared about his players. Football greats such as Howard Wilkinson and Alex Ferguson have being paying tribute today, among many others.

1 comment:

The Fatalist said...

One of many footballing unsung heroes. Cloughie got all the plaudits for your city, but Sirrel was as much a Nottingham icon as him. I knew very little about him, would love to know if a biography was ever done about him.
I don't always get the dailies, or have time to trawl the net, so only saw a brief mention of him by one of the columnists in one of the sundays today.
Not a bad innings, made it a fair way past the three score & ten. Hope he has a good turn out for the funeral.